The national dish? I may be firmly in Team Sinigang, but I will never say no to a big serving of Chicken Pork Adobo!
Introduction: Chicken Pork Adobo
I love Chicken Pork Adobo. Not just chicken adobo, not just pork adobo, but this fun mix of meat on top of meat.
Adobo comes from the Spanish word “adobo” or “adobar”, which means to marinate or pickling sauce.
I know this because I’ve now passed another checkpoint in Duolingo. In the Philippines, adobo refers to a vinegar-braised meat dish.
Adobo is also one of the dishes I usually bring with me to the dorms after a weekend at home. Because of the vinegar, the dish is well-preserved for many days.
Ingredients for Chicken Pork Adobo
- 1.5 kg of chicken and pork belly, chopped
- 2 tbsp of cooking oil
- 1 head of garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup of white vinegar
- 1/3 cup of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tbsp pepper corn
- 3 pieces bay leaves
- Salt to taste
In our household, we put vinegar and soy sauce in a 1:1 ratio. We don’t really use measuring cups so don’t trust anything I just wrote down.
Chicken Pork Adobo Recipe
Chicken Pork Adobo is a tangy hug of tenderised vinegar-braised meat. Because it can last for days, cooking for 1 hour fills up the menu for the next 2 to 3 days! It is truly lazy.
(That is, if you’re eating everything by your lonesome. This recipe is good for 6 to 8 people at once).
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Sauté garlic until golden brown, then add and sauté onion until translucent.
- Add vinegar. Let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Add soy sauce. Let it simmer for 2 minutes. Wait until some of the liquid evaporates.
- Add whole peppercorn.
- Add pork. Mix well in the sauce. Cook for 10 minutes or until colour of meat changes.
- Add chicken. Mix well in the sauce.
- Add 2 cups of water. Let boil and bring down to a simmer. This takes around 40-50 minutes.
- Add bay leaves, oyster sauce, and salt to taste.
- Stir and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!!!
I also love squid adobo and crispy adobo. I don’t think I’ll ever get around to cooking those dishes though…
Side Dish: Corn and Carrots
I absolutely love “corn and carrots” as a side dish! When I looked through the Internet, most recipes also use onion. In our house, we only believe in garlic.
Ingredients for Corn and Carrots
- 1 cup of whole corn kernels
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5-10 minutes
- Melt the butter in a heated pan.
- Sauté crushed garlic.
- Add chopped carrots. Stir and cook well for 3-5 minutes.
- Add corn kernels. Stir for another 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
Until next time!
❤️ Your resident kitchen gremlin